Thursday, December 3, 2009

'Simpler Times', Indeed

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all time. Yes, yes, there's delightful, excusable gluttony and oftentimes silly carousing, but more importantly, you're with your family and kicking-off the fabulous holiday season; there's finally a chill in the air, you can see your breath, and the smell of woodsmoke is in the air! Bring on the Christmas songs! Bring on the twinkly lights! Bailey's, Andes Mints and Peppermint Mochas! Charlie Brown trees, the Griswolds are on TV and an animated clay elf just wants to be a dentist! YES. I love it. (Chel, are you laughing and/or mocking me yet?) I also absolutely adore buying Christmas gifts (or, well, gifts in general) for people, but as we all know, grad school is an exercise in frugality. I'm afraid I won't be able to enjoy that quite as much this year (just WAIT till Christmas, 2011!). Ahh, I digress...

This year, I had the privilege of having my first Thanksgiving not on Long Island, but at the home of my fabulous friends residing in Capitol Hill. And, even though I was thousands of miles away from family, it was pretty awesome. A handful of kids from my program were all in the city, so we gave thanks over 5 bottles of wine, "Pilgrim Punch", and an AMAAAAZING spread, thanks to our hosts. (Said spread included gluten free stuffing AND desserts, so needless to say, I was especially thankful). The afternoon to evening to late night included great conversation, football, cooking, Wii and, uhh, a couple rounds of Kings (yeah, did I mention that large quantities of adult beverages were consumed?). The following photo pretty much sums it up. Friends, fun, glutenless deliciousness... And, a VERY fitting beer brand.

(Is it obvious that, since figuring out how to, I'm all about uploading photos to this thing?)

No comments:

Post a Comment